Christmas is here and you want to give that special present to your partner, your mother, father or any other member of your family and you think... Puppies are adorable! They will be the perfect present!
To start with we need to eradicate from our mind the thought that animals are THINGS that can be bought, given as presents, used and discarded... they are sentient beings: they suffer, have fun, can be sad or happy... all the feelings that you can experience yoruself, they have then too and we are convinced that none of us would like to be treated as a mere gift, would we?
More than 130,000 dogs and cats are abandoned every year in Spain, a large part of them arrived to their families being a present. When the novelty wears off or when the problems start, since they arrived being "things", as "things" they are left behind. With all the suffering that that implies. But of course, YOU don't see that suffering because you have gotten rid of it, that suffering is experienced by the thousands of animal shelters that exist for the particular reason that that poor animal was abandoned by you.
When you decide to bring a pet home, it must be a decission of the whole family, it's a decession that must be taken calmly and thinking of all the consequences that it entails.
You want to give that puppie or that kitte as a present for Christmas with the best of intentions, surely. But maybe the persone receiving that "gift" will not be as happy to receive it because you are committing them to keeping and look after a living creature for many years.
Any pet will need attention, love, time to spend with them and to walk them, time to train them so behaviour issues don't appear (breaking things, biting, agresivity, constant barking, etc.) and also will need a certain financial stability in the home as it means feeding costs, vaccination, vets care if thre was any accident, kennels if you travel and the pet cannot go with you just to name a few...
You are not giving an object that when one gets tired of it you can put away, or give away again, you are giving a living creature with all the responsabilities that you force a family to accept? Don't you think that it is too much for a "gift", even if you mean well?
To have a new family member should be decided by the FAMILY, they should choose themselves which animal will fit in their lifestyle or with another family members, they should choose when is the right time to have a new member and decide if they can take on that responsability. This is why DO NOT GIVE PETS AS PRESENTS for Christmas or any other tie of the year because they are not things and because you should never impose such responsability on anyone withour their previous consent.
We are all responsible for the future and the well being of our pets.
Fecha del evento: 19-12-17
- Curso de Denuncias contra el Maltrato Animal 2017
- Pet's First Aid Workshop 2017
- Visita nuestro albergue I.E.S. Puerto del Carmen
- Workshop: Not being afraid of noises
- Chala educativa en el C.E.I.P. Antonio Zerolo de Arrecife
- Charla educativa en el Colegio Santa María de los Volcanes
- Visita nuestro albergue el I.E.S. Costa Teguise
- SARAEDUCATES: Raising awareness at Tahiche's British School
- Campaña Verano 2014: Charlas de concienciación
- Nuestro Albergue esta lleno
- Cerrado el juicio de King
- Asamblea Ordinaria 2018
- Christmas Campaign 2017: Pets ARE NOT toys, they ARE YOUR FAMILY members
- Sterilization Campaign 2017 in San Bartolomé
- V Torneo Padel Lzt 2017
- Pet crematorium in Lanzarote
- The 6th podenco of the confiscated ones from Tías
- Confiscation of five podencos from Tías
- king's pressumed abusers have been charged!!!
- Fin de la Campaña de Esterilización en HARÍA
- Gran éxito en la Gala 30 Aniversario
- Club de la Comedia
- Day of Presentation of Sara’s Charity Calendar
- born, bagged, thrown away... dead...
- Nuevas Ordenanzas Municipales de Protección Animal. ¡Ahora te toca a ti aportar!
- Feliz Día de la Madre
- More than 5,000 signatures presented against Cock Fighting in Teguise
- To abolish the cruel and barbaric “festival” of “The Cock Fights”
- HUGE NUMBER OF ABANDONMENTS IN OUR ISLAND